Thursday, October 16, 2008

I should've just stayed in bed

It's one of THOSE weeks. Wait. Maybe not what you're thinking. One of those "why me?" weeks.

I got a letter in the mail from Target. Yeah. I thought. Perhaps they heard of my great skills and are offering me a job. Or even better-GIFT CARDS for being such a loyal customer. But NO, it was a letter telling me I bounced a check for $475. Only one problem: I never wrote them a check.

Someone wants to be me, though I'm not sure why. Apparently somebody decided to come up with a variation of my name and somebody else's checking account and put them together. Oh yeah, they also have my drivers license number. AAARRRGGGHHHH. Now I'm trying to figure out what I all need to do to protect my identity and, I might add, my excellent credit. The good news is none of my money was stolen. The bad news is that I have no idea how far this will go.

I've also been having "school" issues with my 12-year-old. "Math is too hard," he says. "Take me out of Pre-AP. I'll never understand this." Well, my dear son, perhaps if you would remember to give yourself insulin at lunch, you could think straight. Oh yeah. 8x4=32 not 40.

And, oh yeah, I have to go back for a mammogram this afternoon. It was not fun the first time...and taking that little sticker off, that's another post altogether.

8 comments:

Kari said...

Julie! Say wwwhat on the mammagram? You're scaring me Girl!! I was supposed to get one done (a baseline since I'm 35 - but we just changed insurances and I haven't done it yet). I hope yours comes back normal and that it is an accurate "read."

Oh, it sounds like an awful week! I wish I was there and we could go out to lunch and to get pedicures or something. Big (((((HUGS)))))

jeffandleath said...

You are on my mind and in my thoughts. I am 35 now, so maybe I better get in for a mammogram. Been there with the Pre-AP here in Katy and it's tough - wish you the best. I am worried about this identity thing too - so many people I know have had this problem. How did someone get your driver's license # ?

Julie said...

Don't have a clue how anyone got my drivers license #

And I think if they were really worried about my mammogram, they would've gotten me in sooner.

And Leath, math is much smoother when Kyle's blood sugars aren't sky high!

jeffandleath said...

a lady that works with Jeff told me you can get online and have access to people's driver's licenses - doesn't sound good, does it?

Hot Pants said...

I'm not suprised someone wants to be you. Infact, who WOULDN'T want to be you?
I am actually suprised we haven't had the same problem yet. Dwight is constantly losing his wallet.

Karen said...

Sorry about your crazy day Julie! I hope everything gets worked out for the best. If you have further problems with your identification talk to Mark, he's had problems as well and may be able to help!

Rendi said...

Wow- what a crappy situation. Good luck in getting out of it and be sure to share with all of us wht precautions we are supposed to be taking to prevent it happening to us!

Sonia said...

Holy cow! That stinks, I'm sorry to hear about your identity theft. We had someone down here charge their first months cable and installation to their phone number, which was our old phone number and suddenly we had a huge charge on our bank account we had never made. Sad that the cable company would just charge an account to a phone number without verifying the actual account info. Needless to say, we got new bank cards and they credited it back to our account, two weeks later. What a pain! I don't envy you about the mammogram, I hope everythings okay!