Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Routines

I admit. I'm not one for rigid routines. I don't clean on Mondays, do laundry on Tuesdays, etc. In fact, I kind of live my life and figure I'll get the domestic stuff done in the snippets of time that I am home. There are days my house is cleaner than others. But, hey, a stay-at-home mom is not a maid.

But I realized that there is one routine I stick to pretty well. It goes something like this:

6:15: "Mom, I'm up and showered."
That's my cue to get out of bed and make Kyle some breakfast. (OK. Pour him a bowl of cereal and keep him company really.)

6:20: I say, "time to make the donuts" and crawl out of bed. (Sorry if you're too young to get the Dunkin Donuts reference. I tried finding a video but they were all taken offline due to copyright or something.)

6:21: Wake up Kyle who's sleeping on the couch. Ask him if he checked his blood sugar. Check my e-mail, facebook, etc.

6:45: Kyle comes over for a kiss on the top of his head and goes on his merry way.

6:46: Click. I lock the front door and climb back into bed.zzzzzz

7:10: Emily comes down and lies in bed with me. "Good morning mom!" she says. At this point I try to convince her to skip school today so we can both stay in bed. She never falls for it.

7:15: "Time to make the donuts." again.
Emily does stay in bed til her Wheaties are in the bowl and her peanut butter toast is waiting..

7:45: Hug and kiss. Off she goes.

7:46: The bed is calling my name again. Should I answer the call???

4 comments:

Karen said...

Julie...I love your philosophy when it comes to sleeping & I think your routine is fabulous!

Rendi said...

I wish I could have your routine! Do you want to trade??? I don't want the stress of Kyle's diabetes though- I know how taxing that can be.

Julie said...

Let's see. I'd trade you if it meant no diabetes... especially this week since we lost all control of blood sugar. Might be a growth spurt, might be Christmas candy. Probably both.

I figure I'll eventually make up for all those years of not sleeping thru the night. Except that I'll be up tonight checking. grrr

Rendi said...

I hear your pain and I seriously would not trade it for anything. I have so much respect for moms with diabetic children...it never ends.