Wow! The past ten years have flown by. I paused to reflect upon how my life has changed in the past ten years. And figured I'd write them down for posterity's sake. Besides the fact that I'm no longer in my twenties, here goes:
1. Ten years ago, I was a frazzled stay-at-home mom of a baby and a newly-diagnosed diabetic toddler. Those years were really depressing to be honest. Now, however, I have a teenager and a ten-year-old. They can still drive me crazy (on purpose maybe?), but they're much more fun to be around! Instead of changing diapers and playing Candyland (yawn), I can challenge them to Scrabble and not feel bad when I kick their butts at the game.
2. In the past little-over-ten years, we have lived in three states (Illinois, Wisconsin and Texas) and four different cities. Kyle hasn't gone to any one school longer than two years. We were supposed to move to Michigan this year, but that fell through unexpectedly...and THANKFULLY!
3. After years of trying and only somewhat enjoying (or not enjoying), I have given up anything remotely craft related. I don't sew, scrapbook, stamp or knit. But I've happily come to grips that I don't want to do any of those things. Even if everyone else is like Martha Stewart, it's just not me. And I'm at peace with it.
4. Ten years ago we were dirt poor living in a 2-bedroom apartment with two kids. Now we're not so poor and live in a nice, brand-new home in Katy, TX. I have come to realize that it doesn't matter how much money a person makes, there will always be someone with more money, better stuff , etc. Ten years ago I would have killed to live in the house I am currently living in. Today I'd rather live in the "Jones's house" down the road because it's bigger and better. I'm still trying to get over that thing called pride.
5. Along with the no-money thing, over the years I have developed this need to pinch pennies. It was definitely out of necessity to start with. I guess it still is. I have this NEED to not overspend or go into debt. We had credit card debt once--when the kids were little--it just about KILLED me. I couldn't stand it. I've learned quite a few things over the years about spending wisely. And I still love to read blogs about it. Clark Howard is my second main man. But it's okay. Greg knows it.
6. Over the years, Greg and I have developed some pretty funny inside jokes. We like to hide things that the other will find at an opportune or inopportune time. I once sent him something at work, not knowing that his secretary opened his mail. Oops. I guess the point is that we've been married for 15 years and still trying to make each other smile.
7. I've learned so much about diabetes care that I could probably become a Diabetes Educator without the need for schooling. I still hate the disease. And I'm not even the one who has had the 15,000 finger pokes (minimum) in the past 10 years. The technology has changed tremendously since Kyle was diagnosed at the age of 2. We used to give him insulin and then made sure he ate enough to cover the dosage. Uh...did I mention he was 2? No easy task. Thankfully, now he's on an insulin pump and covers what he eats with the push of a button.
8. In the course of multiple moves, I have developed some wonderful friendships. And I'm happy to keep those friendships no matter where we are in the world. There's nothing like seeing someone after many years and just picking up where you left off. I definitely hope to see more of y'all soon.
9. After having Miss Emily in 1999, I literally didn't lose any weight. Don't know why, since she weighed 6 pounds. But whatever. Then I gained a bunch of weight and found out my thyroid is underactive. Pretty common problem. Pretty common solution. But that didn't take the weight off. So finally after all these years I decided to do something about it. I joined Weight Watchers in 2008 and am at a smaller size than when I was in college. Well, that's what I say anyway. We all know that sizes are made bigger than ever before too.
10. I have developed a LOVE of my life. Things were stressful this past decade. But I have learned to go with the flow a bit better. (Or maybe the flow is just smoother.) I do what I enjoy and prioritize myself in the mix. Not to say life is happy-go-lucky all the time, but I'm very interested to see what the next decade brings.
What changes have you seen in your life this decade? I'd love to know.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy New Year! The time seems to go by faster and faster. Looks like you guys had a great 10 years. Hope the next 10 are just as great or even better! Its fun to sit down and think about the past and what we have accomplished!
How about going to Mexico this year!?!? ...say around October 3rd?
Post a Comment